...was very HOT! I felt like a sissy complaining when all those soldiers are out there in ALL their gear, and here I am not wearing nearly as many layers and complaining. I couldn't imagine being pregnant in that weather. Andre would have to just push me around in a wheelbarrow.
Kurtis graduated basic training on the 26th of August so we went to see his ceremony and spend as much time as we could with him. I feel very luck that we live as close as we do. It could have easily been much further away but it was only about a 9 hour drive. There were some soldiers that had nobody there, and that made me very sad. I never understand people that do not support their own family members.
 |
| Kurtis lived with us when both the kids were born so they have a very special relationship. The kids cannot comprehend why Kurtis did not come home with us. |
 |
| Meet Kurtis' girlfriend. |
 |
| Downtown Columbus, GA. It was very pretty and quaint. |
 |
| This is a brick oven. Or at least it used to be. |
 |
| I was very sad to leave Kurtis just sitting outside the PX but we had to get home. At least I left him with some hot n' spicy cheez its! |
I am very proud of my brother and I am very lucky to be taught how to serve and sacrifice. My older brother is a Navy veteran and now my little brother is an Army Cavalry Scout, and of course my own husband has proudly served in the Army and still is. I always thought I would be a soldier someday, but I am grateful for those I love, and those I do not know that are that selfless.
We love you Kurtis and are excited to watch your Army career progress. If anyone feels like doing something kind and sending him a letter, postcard, anything he would absolutely love it. It does not matter if you know him or not. A soldier's life is very lonely and he lives for mail. Contact me for his info!
Wasn't your father a Captain in the US Army as well? I'm sure he would be very proud of all of his kids and their sense of duty to our country.
ReplyDeleteGeorge J. Hornung, 18th Ohio Infantry, Union Army, Civil War
Albert O. Hornung, US Navy, WWI
Walter L. Hornung, US Navy, Korean War
James M. Hornung, US Army, Desert Storm
Peter S. Hornung, US Navy, Iraq War
Kurtis E. Hornung, US Army